Monday, March 14, 2011

The Outfit

Originally I wanted to have a gown so  that all of my children could wear it, but considering we waited until he was 10 1/2  months old, I figured I better not put him in a gown. After looking at several [expensive] outfits online, I decided surely I could make one on my own. I wanted it something simple anyway...how hard can it be, right? Let me just say...there is a reason heirloom clothing is expensive!!

I started by going to my favorite store where the ladies were a huge help, as usual. They tried to help me find a simple pattern that I could do since I have only sewn simple rompers and such. Well, non of those were good enough (of course), so I picked this one and they offered to help walk me through any steps that I couldn't figure out. They did advise me that it was a bit advance for my sewing skills. Did I listen? Of course not! I mean, it said Easy to Make. Whatever.


After hours of sewing, ripping apart, re-sewing, tears, ugly-word-saying, and threatening to throw my machine out of the window I decided I would actually take them up on their offer to help me out. I was slightly embarrased to take my work to a professional shop with people who know what they are doing...but I just saw no other way. I had the outfit and I had the collar butI couldn't figure out to save the life of me how to get them to be one unit. Thankfully, they did not laugh at it or tell me just to throw it out and start all over (my biggest fears!). They were very encouraging and told me tales of their first experiences....which made mine actually not seem so bad. Not sure if they were just being nice...but it made me feel much better anyway!


At one point, I whipped up B man a pair of shorts just to take a break from the fine fabric, tiny needles, lace, and ridiculously-hard-to-deal-with thread and to prove I actually can sew! It felt so good to be able to finish something!


I didn't give up though. I finally finished it..after hours and hours (and HOURS) of work, it was done! I'm not sure it saved any money or is anything to brag about, but it was DONE! It was certainly a great learning experience! Even though his outfit was not perfect, it was precious on him for his special day and it will always be something special to me.

And perhaps one day, I'll get a picture of him in it by himself...since that did not happen the day it was worn.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger....Right?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment