Saturday, March 26, 2011

Date Night

More like date weekend really. Last month for my birthday/Valentine's day, Leon surprised me with a night at the Alluvian and Date Night at the Viking Cooking School in Greenwood. It was something I've always wanted to do, but something I NEVER would have done for myself. I am way too cheap :)

It was a fabulous weekend and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a short getaway. We stayed 1 night and I could have easily stayed 2 (if I could have A) afforded it and B) been away from my sweet boy that long!) I think it would be an awesome girls weekend location as well. The whole weekend was full of fantastic food and great shopping. LOTS.OF. FOOD.There was so much to do that we didn't get a chance to do the spa. It looked awesome though! Maybe next time!


Super cheesy (awful) photo above. Sorry.  Note that it is the ONLY picture of the two of us together from the whole weekend. Whatever.

Moving on, we had time for some shopping before our class and I am now in love with Mississippi Gift Company.It is a store filled with pottery, gifts, jewelry, food, art, and anything else you can think of all made in Mississippi. Be warned though, you may want one of everything! There are also children's and adult's boutiques, antique stores, art galleries, a stationary store, and much more fun stuff.

Next we headed across the street to the Viking Cooking School, where I also wanted one of everything.

OUR MENU
  • Lobster Bisque with Brandy Cream
  • Baby Greens with Candied Pine Nuts and Champagne Vinaigrette
  • Pancetta-Wrapped Filet Mignon stuffed with Spinach and Boursin Cheese
  • Merlot Demi-Glace
  • Oven-Roasted Truffled Frites
  • White Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake (made by our awesome teacher Loren)

Everyone working away at dinner...except me, I am the one in the back talking and drinking wine ;)





Saturday morning we slept late (8:00) and ate breakfast at the Alluvian. I just have to say that it was the best hotel breakfast that I have ever eaten...and it was free (or not extra, shall I say)!

We had heard from several people that the Delta Bistro was a must, so despite the fact that I could hardly even walk after breakfast, we decided to stay and shop until lunch. You know, so we could eat...again!
We did more downtown shopping for a while, but then we decided to drive around and look at houses. There are some seriously beautiful houses in Greenwood, MS. We ended up finding a antique/junk store that would be a Pickers dream. I brought home a set of glass cookie jars, a lamp, and a set of 12 antique green glasses for $25. I was pumped.

Waiting around until lunch turned out to be a great decision. The Delta Bistro was D.E.L.I.C.O.U.S
Such a cute little restaurant with a fun, laid back atmosphere.
Really makes me wish there were something like this around here!

We ended our trip with a bit more walking downtown, gawking at all of the Viking displays. Ever since I met Leon, I have had a slight appreciation for the Delta, but after this weekend, my appreciation grew even more!

1 comment:

  1. We were just talking about doing this same thing- Alluvian and Viking Cooking School. Looks like so much fun! :) What a good (and close) getaway! I will have to show Andrew...

    ReplyDelete