Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday

So, I have lots and lots to post. Like, 6 months of stuff.  And, truly, I will get it done, at least the abbreviated version, IF my household ever gets well again. We have been through the crud, RSV, more crud, Strep and MORE CRUD. I just am ready for everyone to be normal, including myself. That's what happens when you make a remark like "we haven't really been all that sick this year". Oops. But, it could always be worse, and I am very thankful for my children and my family's health for the most part. We are just ready for spring!

But, that's not what I wanted to post today. I actually wanted to post on something that isn't my normal "here's my family and what we do" post. It's something that matters a lot more in reality. I've posted year after year that I just love Lent. It's a relatively new love that was found after joining the Methodist Church. After growing up in a Baptist church, I never really knew the meaning or why people "give up" things for Lent or why people wore ashes on their foreheads, although I honestly never saw much of that around here. But, I think its a very important season for so many reasons. I don't think you have to be Methodist, Cathothic, Presbyterian, or part of any specific denomination to understand the value in Lent. I think its a time to stop and reflect on what it truly means to be a Christian. To put it like I read in my bible study this morning, it is a sort of "Pause button".  I think that involves a deeper bible study, and perhaps "giving up" something that may get in the way of that focus. I think it's hard to truly celebrate Easter, if you don't adjust your focus a little. We studied a few weeks ago in Sunday school about fasting, and what struck me the most is how Jesus instructed us…he didn't say "IF you fast" he said "WHEN you fast, do it…"(Matthew 6:16) Fasting just isn't something we normally do. We are so comfortable in our lives that it's hard to give up anything at all. I know lots of people give up Facebook and other social media and I am going along with that as well this year.  I try not to stay on the computer or phone much when kids are around or at dinner for the most part, but it still happens sometimes.  It actually broke my heart a little this morning when Bishop and I were talking about Lent, Ash Wednesday, etc and I told him I was giving up Facebook and he said "Yay! You can play with me now!" I hate to think he thinks I'd rather be on the phone or computer than be with him. In my defense though, I usually don't play much because I am cleaning, cooking and doing laundry! But, he did have a valid point. I surely never want to be the mom at the park on the phone instead of being with my own children. I never want to be one of those families who go out to dinner (or stay in for dinner) and stay glued to their phones the whole time and never engage with each other.  But, I do feel like I spend more time than I should on my phone. It's part of our daily routine now. In fact, sometimes I get up in the mornings and check FB first thing or go to bed and check it right before bed. I mean, really, its slightly absurd. I don't' even care that much?!  I do love reading articles..there are some really good ones out there. But some things and some people are so opinionated over a screen that I just can't stand it. I'm usually left feeling like I need to do more. I need to cook more. My children should be more or do more. I should do more of this or more of that. Good moms don't do this or that. We shouldn't eat this.  You shouldn't wear certain clothes or read certain books or see certain movies. Everyone has an opinion on EVERYTHING. And, I do get it and I do think there should be opinions on things. I think though, we as Christians should stand up for what we believe in a loving way, that is just not how it tends to come across, Honestly, its all just exhausting. And, the truth is no one posts everything (WELL, some people do!) and we can't go judging ourselves based on what people post. We all know that there are trials in everyones lives, even if they don't say so publicly. Or at least I think so? So, that's the LONG version of why I'm giving it up, probably way more than you ever needed or cared to know! But there it is..my reason for giving up social media. To spend more time with my kids and to prepare my heart for Easter. It's going to be great…right?? I don't think Facebook is a bad thing, so don't take it that way. I just feel like I spend more time on there than I'd like and I just wanted to point out some of the negative things…but I don't think its all bad.  I'm going to miss keeping up with friends and family and I'm going to miss seeing sweet pictures of my friends and their children. I'll probably feel like I'm missing out, but I hope to gain so much more. And, I'm sure my husband will keep me informed if there is anything major I need to know or read about :) I have mentioned before my love for "She Reads Truth" and I have to say it is a wonderful bible study for women. It's available online and its FREE. There's even an app that makes it super easy. You may have to pay for the newer studies but I think it'll be worth the few dollars or you can just go to the website on your phone for free, which is what I usually do if I'm not on the computer.  And, the new Lent study starts today! You can order a study guide too if you want, and I think that would be a great idea but I've just done the online version. Being that I'm cheap and all :)

I'm also giving up sugar, but that's more of a healthy fast and obviously needs no huge explanation, especially if you know me.  I live off of sugar. I know its bad. But, alas, I am addicted to it. I did an advocare challenge (just the food part) with Leon last summer and honestly no sugar was SOO hard but I have never felt better! I just can't think of a better time to give it up and see what happens! Please wish me luck because it's only lunch and I feel like I might die if I don't get a sweet tea stat (and I rarely even drink it but it sounds wonderful right now, naturally) I even poured out the remainder of my jelly belly's to avoid the temptation this morning. Very sad. I did eat every last bit of my Valentine's chocolate last night…wouldn't want to be too wasteful!

Happy Ash Wednesday everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment