Wednesday, July 7, 2010

D Day...

Friday, April 16, 2010...the day my world changed. I had actually been having contractions since the night of April 14 on and off. I even called the hospital that night to see if I should come or not. The contractions were anywhere from 4-8 minutes apart.  The doctor just told me to take a bath and if it got worse come on...if not, it was probably "false labor". After the bath, they almost went away....Geez! Then by Thursday night...after walking at the park and on the treadmill 2 or 3 times...I was in some serious pain. I had that fear of being the mom who either A) shows up to the hospital 10 times before actual labor starts (more likely of the two) or B) shows up too dilated for an epidural. Even though I could not sleep AT ALL...I had a 10 a.m. appt Friday and I was determined to wait until then to do anything.

It was very weird knowing you are in labor in the doctors office waiting room. I had to stay calm because I looked no different than anyone else....but I knew that something was going on. The nurse said the same "you can go leave your specimen now" and I did it as calmly as I could while I wanted to scream...."I'm in labor people...can't you see that?!?!..I don't care about a SPECIMEN!" Luckily, I didn't actually say it. I did the normal weight check and got hooked up to the monitors....yep, I was not dreaming the contractions. I had this fear that my doctor was going to come in and say "you are only having tiny contractions and haven't changed a bit, so I'll see you on MONDAY". I was thinking THERE IS NO WAY I AM GOING THROUGH THIS ALL WEEKEND!!  However, that is not what she said...thank goodness!

I had dilated 3 cm and was having pretty regular contractions and so she offered to do another procedure that would speed up the labor process...and all I replied was "Can I just have him today?" I LOVE MY DOCTOR. She said "Sure, I'll meet you at the hospital in a few minutes to break your water....you will probably have him by 7:30 or so tonight."  What? Really? I had previously thought I might just be pregnant forever and today it was FINALLY going to be over and I was going to meet my little man one way or another...what a wonderful day!




I arrived at the hospital around 11:30 or 12 (after stopping at Subway to get Leon some lunch) and had dilated to 4 cm already. I met the most wonderful nurses there...they made everything seem so easy! I got my epidural and Dr. Hill came and broke my water. P.S. the epidural was fabulous!! At one time, I thought I might could do without it...but NEGATIVE. It made it a wonderful experience that I would do over a hundred times! I was able to talk to my family, text everyone who couldn't be there, and even facebook. And who can go through labor without Facebook...lol! My family couldn't believe I was in labor since I was going on like nothing was wrong....once again, epidurals are a wonderful thing.

My nurse had planned to check me again at 5:30,  but around 4:30 that my epidural was wearing off...or so I thought. The anesthesiologist had told me that could happen and he would just turn it up if I started feeling the pain. I wasn't planning on telling my nurse until she came and checked me in an hour or so; I had PLENTY of time before he was going to be here ...but Leon insisted I did. He said there wasn't any need in being in pain and so he called for the nurse. Thank goodness he did! Apparently it was not the epidural wearing off but the pressure they say that epidurals can't get rid of. The nurse called Dr. Hill and said I would be pushing in 30 minutes. I thought..."Wait! I am not supposed to have this baby for a couple of hours!! I'm not ready!" 



At 5:24 p.m., after 15 minutes of pushing...HE WAS HERE....REALLY HERE!! Everytime I think about the first time I saw him, I tear up. It was amazing. He was beautiful and so perfect...completely perfect! The first thing I thought was "OMG, he's huge" and the second was "look at all that hair....and that poor coned head". He was a doll. My heart grew in that delivery room more than I could have ever imagined. It even grew for Leon. I had no idea how much I could love two people before this! I thank God every single day!


James "Bishop" Hays
8 lbs 3oz
21 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment