Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The past few days

Life doesn't always happen the way you plan.

I had been planning a birthday weekend with my besties for months. The weekend was to begin with a family trip to Mt Fugi followed by cupcakes and presents at my sisters. Then, we were headed to Starkville to meet Maggie and Josh for a night of playing cards and hanging out. Then Saturday, the Warrington's were coming to Starkville to hang out. The boys were going to play. We were going to shop. I was going to eat at City Bagel.

Not so much. It all started Friday morning. I convinced Bishop to take his medicine by giving him a cookie. He gave the cookie back. Wait? What? My child is obsessed with cookies. Should've been my first clue. Either way, I headed out the door and grabbed us and daddy some donuts at the new donut shop. On the way to daddy's office he cried a little and when I turned around, he threw up everywhere. I panicked. I freaked. I know, all kids do it at some point but it hurt me in a way I can't even describe. I called Leon and as soon as he answered I screamed "he's got the stomach virus". He calmed me down, we watched him for an hour, and decided it must have just been the medicine on an empty stomach. I'm a pharmacist..I'm supposed to know these things.

I checked on him (several times) at babysitters and he was fine. He had been playing like nothing was wrong. Didn't eat much but that's not unusual these days. Just as I was pulling up, she texted me and said he was sick again. Still, at this point she wasn't convinced that it was a virus. After throwing up again on the way home and having diarrhea...it was pretty much confirmed...stomach virus.

Then, just as I anticipated, Leon and I got sick a few days later. Wow. Where's the warning on parenting when you are sick? That was terrible. I literally made his food..toast, sandwich, goldfish, cheetos, and left it on his table. Who knows if he ate it or gave it to Abby? And, who cares? I felt like a terrible mom. At one point I literally couldn't carry him up the stairs by myself. Leon had to change his diapers..I could not do it. I tried. Terrible mom. Terrible! Abby and the tv were my babysitters for the majority of the day.

Anyway, we made it through. It was terrible and he's still not quite ok even days later but I think he's getting there. And, for the record, I didn't feel like a terrible mom today. I actually played with him and didn't just shoo him away to go watch tv. We played dinosaurs, Legos, horses, and trains with him and took him to read books on the swing outside. I even gave him real food. And, despite that I was terrible yesterday...he loves me anyway...and I love him!!

And I hope to not see the stomach bug again anytime soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment