Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A new hobby

FYI...this is not a Bishop post. There are no pictures of Bishop. It is just me rambling on.....

So, I really am wanting to start making clothes. I am totally obsessed with children's clothes (especially boys).  Now that I am only working part time, I can not just buy every cute outfit that I want. I do a lot of my shopping at consignment shops, ebay, and after-season sales for the next year. I bought Bishop fall and Christmas clothes last year and guessed on the size that he will be. I have been doing the same again this summer. It drives Leon CRAZY that I buy clothes a year in advance...but I will not spend $60 or $70 on one outfit to be worn once before it is outgrown. Well, the majority of the time! Anyway, I got a sewing machine for Christmas last year and haven't really put it to much use yet. I have made some curtains and pillows and a few bibs and burp clothes, but no clothes. I did attempt some bloomers, but they turned out to be a disaster. I can semi-read a pattern, but not well. I went today to Heirlooms Forever in Tupelo, and got so excited about taking a class on learning to sew a Jon-Jon. If I can learn to make a Jon Jon and short/pants...I think I can save a ton of money on Bishop's clothes! Plus, I think it will be fun to have a hobby.

Also, I really want an embroidery machine. I have Leon talked into it, I just have to talk myself into it. It is A LOT of money. But if I am able to use it on 2 or 3 kids, gifts, etc...it might be worth the money. It would especially be worth it if I could do it for other people. I went by and looked at machines today and they do not look that complicated. I think I might could do it. It is one of those things where it is so overwhelming that I don't know where to start. I could always find a used one and learn to do it myself and save some money. However, I want to make sure to get one that meets my needs and Heirlooms Forevers does a one on one class to help you learn all about the machine. Everyone in HF is super nice and helpful. Although I do most of my shopping online...I think this might be one thing that I go back to the old way of doing things...buy from an actual person in an actual store! I just don't know if it would be worth it or not. It is all so overwhelming, and I don't know who to ask about it. I guess I'll just research it a bit more and attempt to learn to sew a little more in the meantime and see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment